Hurricane Season will officially be upon us in just a few short days. Here at Rain Control Gutters we want everyone to be safe, so we thought we’d take a moment to talk about how to prepare for hurricanes.
First, you’ll want to stock up on these items as soon as possible to make sure you’re ready to tackle power outages and other problems that come with hurricanes and other severe storms.
- 3 gallons of water for each person who lives in your house (a 3 day water supply for the whole family).
- A 3 day supply of food — look for stuff that doesn’t spoil easily and doesn’t need to be cooked.
- A manual can opener to open your food.
- A hand crank radio, cellphone charger, and flashlight. They do sell them as combo items.
- A first aid kit.
- A wrench or pliers so you can turn off your utilities.
- Garbage bags.
- Moist towelettes.
- Local maps — on paper! Google Maps is probably not going to be accessible.
- Cash, hidden somewhere with the other supplies, at least $200 if you can swing it, but even $20 helps. Remember, ATMs may be out.
- Extra food and water for pets.
- Sleeping bags.
- Fire extinguishers.
- Water purification tablets.
It’s also not a bad idea to keep all of your important documents such as bank information, identity documents, and insurance information in one place, stored in something that’s easy for you to pick up and take with you. A 3 ring binder with plastic inserts works pretty well for this.
You can even take this a step further. Travelers are often advised to take pictures of these documents and upload them to a secure Cloud-based server like Google Docs, Skydrive, or Dropbox. This means that even if you get separated from your documents you’ll be able to access them again as soon as you can get to a computer or a working cell phone.
We’d also urge you to take this time to take some indoor and outdoor photographs of your home. Upload these to the cloud too. This can really help expedite the insurance claims process.
And not to sound self-serving, but if you didn’t do your spring gutter cleaning you’ll want to get that taken care of now. You want gutters that are going to be able to stand up to the heavy downpours that storm season can bring.
Keep a full tank of gas in the car and keep an eye on local news and weather conditions. It’s really important to stay informed during hurricane season!
We are a trusted gutter contractor serving Brandon, New Port Richey, and the rest of the Tampa Bay metro area. Call us for gutter cleaning, gutter repair, or if you need new gutters.